Tuesday, January 13, 2015

I'm a Mommy: One Year Later

12-Month Photo Shoot with Robb Davidson Photography
www.robb-davidson.com

Dan and I have been proud parents of our sweet daughter, Ava, for just over one year. Wow, let me tell you, what a year it has been! It's been a year filled with both easy and difficult days, but each and every day has been a blessing.

Recently, I've been reflecting on mine and Dan's relationship. We've been together for 10+ years and I've realized that our milestone moments are nicely spaced out. Here's a timeline...

October 17, 2004 - Dating
December 13, 2008 - Engaged
June 26, 2009 - Married
October 13, 2011 - First House
November 1, 2012 - Adopted a Dog
December 17, 2013 - Ava is Born

Life with Ava is unlike anything I've ever experienced and, looking back, I've come to appreciate the time Dan and I took to savor life's milestones. Some milestones happened slower than expected, while others happened faster. No matter what, it is evident that God has had His hand in our relationship, and for that I am ever-so-grateful. Life is short, so we shouldn't waste it, but we also shouldn't rush it either.

Ava is a precious little girl. She has a bright and happy personality, she's (very!) active, and she enjoys making new friends. Ava also isn't afraid to tell you how she feels. While she'll offer you a smile, high five, hug, or even a kiss, she's fully capable of having a total meltdown because she isn't getting her way. Yes, Ava can be a bit of a drama queen. She'll throw her head back and whine or even fall to the ground and bury her face in her hands as she sobs crocodile-size tears. A simple "no" from Mommy or Daddy can appear to be the end of the world in Ava's eyes. Sorry, honey, but Mommy and Daddy don't want you playing with scissors/touching a hot pan/picking at gum you found on the ground.

Still, whether Ava is giving me kisses or crying angry tears, I love her. I love her in a way that I have never loved before. This eye-opening perspective has brought me closer to my Heavenly Father. Surely I can never love the way He loves me (and you!), but I have a new understanding of why He continues to be there for me. While there is no doubt in my mind, I disappoint Him on a daily basis, He sees beyond my mistakes and sinful nature to see where my heart is. Ava may be little, but I can see that she has a good heart. I may have to correct her and discipline her when she is naughty, but that doesn't change the fact or the way that I love her. I have high hopes for her, just like my parents and my Heavenly Father have for me.

Now, many of you have asked about mine and Dan's infertility status, so I'll address this in my blog so we're all on the same page.

When Ava was about six months old, Aunt Flo returned (even though I was still nursing). In fact, she was a pretty regular visitor and it got me hopeful. Then, for no apparent reason, she hasn't returned in a couple of months. Grrrrrrrrreat.

Once I became pregnant with Ava, I asked Dr. S what has to happen in order for me to return to his office in need of medical assistance. Apparently once you've achieved infertility status, it is forever part of your life. What does that mean? It's means, whenever we feel like attempts at Baby #2 aren't working out, I can schedule an appointment. As much as I enjoy my appointments with Dr. S, Jennifer, and the rest of the medical staff, I really don't want to walk that journey again.

So here I am, once more, asking my prayer warriors to lift me up to our Heavenly Father. It's never too early to start praying. In fact, this has been my prayer ever since Ava was born. Please pray for me and my infertility struggles. Pray that my body will properly sync up so Baby #2 is a miracle in a whole new way!

To this day, I am still being contacted by friends, friends of friends, and strangers (soon-to-be friends), asking about my infertility journey because they're walking a similar path. I am always ready to hear your story and I'd certainly love the honor of praying for you. You're not alone and there are many who understand what you're going through. If you need someone to reach out to, it can certainly be me.

I am so grateful I get to be Ava's mommy. The first year has been filled with happy memories, exhausting days, exciting moments, and everything in between. I am also grateful for all our family and friends who have been so supportive of our journey. It was a blessing to spend Ava's first birthday party with many of you who have been there for us.

Below is a special video that was made from Ava's birthday party. Enjoy!

No comments: