Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Almost There

Photo Credit: Robb Davidson
www.robb-davidson.com
For several years, even before I met Dan, I've had dreams that I'm pregnant. I'd place my hands on my round belly and feel so much joy and excitement. Now, here I am, 38+ weeks pregnant and I find myself dreaming about being slim and fit. I guess it's one of those situations where the grass appears greener on the other side.

As my due date rapidly approaches I thought now would be a good time to reflect on the past several months and document what I've experienced and what I've learned throughout my pregnancy.

To be honest, I've had a rather easy pregnancy. The first trimester flew by -- and it may be because I slept through most of it. I didn't throw up, I didn't have any weird cravings, and I didn't gain any weight (I lost weight!). More than anything, I was tired. When I came home from work I'd nap on the couch and Dan would wake me up to see if I wanted dinner. After dinner (if I felt hungry) I'd go back to napping. Later, Dan would wake me up so I could go upstairs and go to bed -- and I never struggled falling back to sleep.

The second trimester was almost just as easy. I craved "real" orange juice (like Simply Orange), ice cream, pancakes, fruit, and Pepsi. The only thing that was out of my norm was orange juice -- we had to keep at least two containers of Simply Orange in the fridge at all times. Pepsi was a little weird for me (I usually drink Diet Coke, if any pop), but I didn't crave Pepsi like I craved orange juice. I also started to slowly gain weight and got a little pooch in my belly. My energy levels came back to normal and I felt great.

My two biggest complaints about my second trimester was a pinched nerve on my left side around my hips/lower back and lots of acid reflux. There was no rhyme or reason to when the pinched nerve would strike, but when it did I was paralyzed with pain. I'd be out and about and suddenly I'd have shooting pain up and down body that would make me freeze in my tracks. It hurt so bad I couldn't move a muscle. Then, as I slowly attempted to move, it would go away -- like someone flipped a light switch. This awkward pain lasted for about a week and then it went away. The acid reflux, on the other hand, hasn't gone away. In fact, I keep antacid supplements on hand virtually 24/7.

Once we entered the third trimester I felt like someone slammed on the breaks and we're now moving in slooooooow motion. At about 30 weeks I really started to feel big and uncomfortable. Almost every morning I'd wake up with back pains and as the day progressed I'd feel like my belly weighed about 50 pounds -- or more. Daily tasks became more and more challenging. Putting on socks, clipping my toe nails, shaving my legs, and getting in and out of cars take more effort then usual these days. My pinched nerve made a not-so-glorious return around week 35 (this time on my right side) and it stuck around for almost a week. I've also been introduced to Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) when I'm trying to sit still and relax. Still, I don't feel like I can complain because (1) I wanted to be pregnant and (2) I know many women have experienced much worse while pregnant.

During weeks 37 and 38 I got a nasty cold. I don't get sick often, so when I do catch something I usually just suck it up and go about my normal activities -- I just don't like anything to slow me down. However, considering my condition, I decided to give my body some much-needed rest. I ended up going home sick on Tuesday, November 26th and didn't even make it into work on Wednesday the 27th. I slept virtually all day and had next to nothing to eat. Thankfully my Thanksgiving was pretty normal. My nose wasn't stuffed up and I was able to smell and taste everything I ate.

Now, here I am, waiting for our daughter to arrive. While pregnancy has been quite a fun and exciting journey, I am very anxious to see what the next chapter has in store for me and Dan. With each passing day it makes me smile to think that we are one day closer to holding our daughter in our arms.

No comments: