Thursday, August 5, 2010

One-Year Anniversary at the Grand Geneva

On Monday, June 28th, Dan and I finally got away to Lake Geneva for our anniversary! There we stayed at the lovely Grand Geneva! It was a first time stay for both of us. For our one night stay, we added a spa package - which was a great deal!

Upon our arrival, Dan and I hit the spa with an hour couples massage! I haven't had many professional massages (only this one and the one on our honeymoon, really), but I must say, this massage was amazing and really set the bar high for future massages! This guy really listened to me and took very good care of my troubled areas - mainly my neck and shoulders. Dan and I felt great after our massages!

When it was time to check into our room, we did just that. There was some sort of Career Builders conference going on, so there were a lot of people in the lobby waiting to check in. Right away, a Grand Geneva employee noticed that we weren't with the conference, so he pulled us aside and let us check in ahead of the group.

When we got to our room we were surprised at how large our room was! Turns out, we were upgraded for free in honor of our anniversary! What a treat!

We had some time before our dinner reservation, so we went to the lounge to enjoy some live music played by a delightful pianist and sipped on discounted mini cosmopolitan martinis.

I took my time getting ready for dinner. I even watched TV in the bathroom mirror as I did my hair! Seriously, it was awesome!

We had dinner at the Geneva ChopHouse. In honor of our anniversary, we were given a private booth with a rose and rose petals sprinkled on the table. How romantic!

At dinner Dan got a steak, of course, and I got some tasty shrimp! We had a bottle of wine with dinner, one that Dan's father highly recommended. Dan's father knows quite a bit about wine, so we always go along with his suggestions. Once again, he suggested a good one!

For dessert our waitress surprised us with free desserts! Each dessert was oh so delicious! What a delightful treat!

As dinner came to an end our waitress told us that we were free to take our wine with us, there was no need to sit at our table and "chug" it - not that we were planning to. So we took her advise. With our wine in hand we moved to the Embers Terrace, an outdoor fire experience at Geneva ChopHouse.

Dan and I were very relaxed at this outdoor fire pit. We spent about three hours there! The whole time we just sat, talked, and occasionally just watched the fire. Very relaxing! I want one of these at home!

On our way back to our room we stopped by the front desk to let them know that our bathtub wasn't draining properly - something that we didn't need fixed right away since we would be leaving in the morning. However, we still thought it would be good for them to know.

Shortly after we got back to our room a man knocked on our door. He had come to fix the bathtub! Such fast service! After he was done he gave us some coupons to use at the hotel, to apologize for the inconvenience. Wow, how nice!

The next morning Dan and I got up to go have breakfast at a nice restaurant in the lodge. The food was delicious - as usual. We were among the only people, so setting and service were great! Ha ha!

Later, Dan and I went back to the spa to use up our remaining spa credit. Together we got mini manicures - Dan's first manicure! Again, it was a relaxing treat and I always feel pretty when I have French-tip nails! Dan enjoyed his first manicure, but he had to choose between a manicure and golf... golf would always win. Ha ha!

As we prepared to leave the Grand Geneva, we stopped in a coffee shop at the lodge and decided to use our coupons to get some fruit smoothies for the drive home. As we handed over our coupons to the lady behind the counter a gentleman who worked at the lodge stepped in.

"Can I see those?" he asked the lady who took our order. She smiled and handed them over. He then took a brief look at them and then handed them back to me and Dan. "Hold on to these and use them later," he instructed us. He then looked back at the other lady. "These guys had dinner and breakfast here... these are on me."

Dan and I were in total awe of his kind gesture. I mean, all of our dinning and spa treatments were already included in the cost of the room - which is what made the whole experience such a good deal. Yet, he still insisted that we were due an additional treat for our efforts.

So, can you tell that Dan and I enjoyed our stay at the Grand Geneva?! I would recommend this place to anyone! If you can go during the week, do it! It is significantly cheaper! Plus, I think that it would also make for a great couples getaway or a girls only vaca! No matter how you made decide to give the Grand Geneva a try... I hope that you have a pleasant experience, just as we did.

No comments: