Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Working in Sales

With Holiday shopping already underway (despite the fact that Thanksgiving hasn't even taken place yet), I thought that I would fill you in on some fun facts about working in retail. Through sharing these fun, random facts I hope that you'll show some significant consideration to those sales employees who are truly doing their best to be helpful.

I worked in clothing retail from 2005 - 2006 and I've worked in kitchen-ware retail since 2006. Here is what I have learned...

1. You have a LOT of mechanise to try and memorize. Not just style, type and price. Nope! There are lot of details that shoppers often ask. Questions like, "Where was this made?" "Is it safe in the dishwasher?" "What is the highest temperature I can heat this up to?" Please don't get frustrated if I don't have an exact answer for you right off the top of my head. Trust me, if it is really important for you to know, I will find out. I try to memorize a lot of details but just about every time I work I get asked a new question - the answer will then be memorized for future use, if needed.

2. Looking "in back" can be quite the challenge. There are thousands upon thousands upon thousands of items in the back. Sometimes it even requires climbing a very tall ladder to reach items. Once in a while items can be difficult to find because the space got rearranged when I wasn't there. While I'm looking, please stay where we last spoke. I'll find you that much faster - especially on a crowded day.

3. One thing that can be super fun, when working in retail, is when you've got yummy samples to hand out to shoppers. Who doesn't love a yummy treat - for free! Well, apparently some people don't. If you're offered a sample, please don't look at it with disgust and say, "Yuck! I don't think so. I hate yada-yada!" I know that not everyone likes chocolate or peppermint, but please don't make an issue out of it. This minor feeling of rejection can be a little hurtful. A simple, "No thank you," is perfectly okay.

4. Sometimes samples are a huge hit! That can be both good and bad. If you're in a store that appears to be out of samples on their little display and you notice that every employee is busy with another shopper, please do not go up to the register and call out, "Excuse me! I'd like a sample!" A cashier will likely reply with a gentle, "Yes, one of us will be with you when there is a free moment." Please remain patient and do not proceed to go behind the counter and help yourself.

5. On unexpected busy shopping days things can get a little overwhelming - especially if you are short-staffed. When lines get long, do not call out, "This is taking forever!" It doesn't help and it can be a little hurtful. The cashiers are trying their best to keep the line moving as quickly as possible.

6. Gift wrapping is sometimes offered as a free service. Be sure to ask if it is available the next time you shop this holiday season, but I will warn you, sometimes the wait can be very long. I've worked in retail where we hired folks just to do gift wrapping in the back. On an extra busy day the wait for free wrapping can get up to two hours! Please, don't get mad if the wait is too long for you. It is a free service. If you can't wait that long simply ask for the wrapping supplies yourself. The store will very likely pass them on to you.

7. The greeter at the front of the store is usually not allowed to leave the front of the store - especially on a busy day. If you need an employee to show you something at the back of the store, let the greeter know and he/she can use his/her walkie talkie to have another employee meet you elsewhere and assist you.

8. Another tip about the greeter... he/she is not your personal shopper. He/She is not there to greet you and begin following you around the store while you shop. Again, he/she must stay at the front of the store. If you need further assistance beyond the front of the store refer to the above statement (#7).

9. Smile and say "thank you" to all employees who assist you or ring you up at the register. It'll be a friendly mood booster for the employee!

10. If you ask for a good gift idea, don't reply with an aggressive, "No! Not that. Something else," after I make a suggestion. I don't know your mother/father/brother/sister/cousin personally, so after I ask a few quick questions to get to know them a little, I'll try and make an educated suggestion. An abrupt "No!" can be really discouraging.

I'm not going to defend the actions of all sales employees, but working in retail can be very stressful - especially around the holidays. So this holiday season, please try to remain patient and polite. If you're polite and the sales employee is rude, stay calm and politely locate a manager to share your findings. Use the above information to gain a little compassion for the busy bees of retail. A friendly shopper is greatly appreciated and, who knows, maybe an appreciative employee will have an extra sample with your name on it.

No comments: