Thursday, January 26, 2012

The "Side-Effects" of Working in Retail

I've been working in retail since 2005 and when I'm the shopper I tend to do things that most shoppers don't. Some of theses "strange" behaviors are all, what I call, "side-effects" from working in retail... and based on conversations I've had with fellow co-workers, I'm not the only one who does these things.

1. I fold clothes and rotate items on shelves so that everything is displayed nicely. So unless I'm in Hollister and the clearance clothes are all in a tangled pile, I tend to "fluff" the clothes and display items.

2. I always share my zip code, email, and phone number when asked. I have a "junk" mail account for online freebies and that is what I share when a store asks for my email - unless it is a store that I shop at often, those stores get my real email.

I know that the information is collected for statistics (zip codes help show where shoppers come from) and your phone number/email is for coupons and merchandise updates. It is very likely that the store is keeping track of how many emails a single cashier is collecting. I just want to help him/her get at least one email captured that day.

3. I stay put when an employee goes in the back to check on something. I want him/her to have an easy time finding me. If I plan on moving to another part of the store I make a point to let the employee where he/she can find me. This will save both of us some time.

4. I am super friendly to employees who help me find something and thank them for their assistance. I say "thank you" and "have a nice day" with plenty of pep and a warm smile to let the employee know I appreciated his/her assistance.

5. I try not to bother the employees who appear to be busy with a project. I avoid people on a ladder, working off a list, checking prices, etc. I scan the store to see if anyone else is available. If no one else is, I often start by saying, "I'm sorry, can you help me?"

Some of these habits find their way into my house as well. For example, food gets stocked with the labels faces the same way (towards the front) and are neatly placed in straight lines, in stylish fashion. I know that sometimes I over do it, but I like to think I'm staying in practice for work.

No comments: