Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I Now Like Mayonnaise


If you've ever been out to eat with me, you'll notice that I always order my meal with "no mayo" -- if mayo is included. Personally, I have never been a fan of the condiment, but I've survived the accidenal mayonnaise encounter in my lifetime.

For years I have read beauty tips suggesting the use of mayo as a hair mask. My first thought? Ew! Gross! Then, a recent afternoon in a pool left my hair feeling extra dry. Since I'm attempting to grow out my lovely locks, I decided to give this mayo mask a whirl.

Dan and I have lots of mayonnaise packets in our house -- and neither of us use them. So I decided I would attempt my first-ever mayo mask. Here is what I did...

1. I brushed my hair so there were no tangles.
2. I filled a water bottle with warm/hot water and proceeded to spray my hair until it was wet, but not soaking/dripping.
3. I opened each pack of mayonnaise and covered my hair -- focusing on my ends. I applyed the mayo just like conditioner. No need to go with "fat free" mayo in this case. It's going in your hair, not your mouth.
4. I gathered my hair into a clip and covered my head with a shower cap -- I knew those hotel shower caps would come in handy some day! I let the mayo mask sit for 20+ minutes, letting the heat from the warm/hot water open my pores and let the mask sink into my hair.
5. I showered normally, washing my hair with shampoo and conditioner.

The end result... very SOFT hair! I was amazed at how well this simple, one-ingredient mask made my hair feel so healthy. While I was not a fan of how the mask smelled, I certainly thought it was worth it and I'll be doing it again... possibly soon!

No comments: