Sunday, April 7, 2013

Time Out

One thing that has been exceptionally nice about being on so many medications, is the fact that it has made Aunt Flow very predictable. It sounds silly but I think it's FABulous!

For Christmas, my in-laws got me a 2013 date planner and I started using it for tracking my (many!) doctor's visits, treatments, and medications. Since I've started seeing Dr. S I have been able to predict, down to the day, when I am going to start my next period -- a feature I have never been able to take advantage of.

Well, since my last treatment was incomplete, Dr. S and I met to discuss my next treatment -- as mentioned in my previous post. Side note: I'm sorry if the ultrasound photos and ovulation test photo got y'all excited for nothing. I just wanted to illustrate the "follicles" I keep talking about. Well, at least I didn't post on April Fools. Ha ha! Lesson learned, not all ultrasound photos are baby photos.

Okay, moving on...

During my meeting with Dr. S, we realized that my next treatment would essentially begin while I'm in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for a business trip.

Uh-oh.

So Dan and I discussed what we should do. It was weird, we both felt very much at peace about putting our next treatment on pause. This whole journey has been a rollercoaster from the beginning, so a break from the drama of pills, ultrasounds, and blood tests just might be what God has in mind for us. Again, it must be all our prayers, as well as the prayers of our family and friends, that have given us such inner peace about each of our decisions. God's timing is best and I feel good about our game plan.

It felt weird deciding to put our next treatment on hold, but we agreed that we don't want to waste our time or money diving into a treatment that could, very likely, get off to a bumpy start -- since I'll be out of town. Our first treatment got off to a bumpy start and that was just a mess -- and absolutely nothing happened. I am not about to waste another treatment. All those $20 co-pays and medications add up!

So here I am! I'm in Philadelphia for the Ellucian Conference and I'm having a wonderful time. I ran up the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum (Rocky!) and had a Philly cheese steak sandwich for dinner with some of my co-workers.


Also, I may or may not lick the Liberty Bell. Doing such an act would be legendary! All the How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM) fans would understand. For those of you who are confused, please click on HIMYM as a quick reference.

The next few days are going to be busy, so I'll appreciate the distraction. Dan and I have been spending so much time in prayer over our infertility journey and we've got so many others praying as well, I can only give God the credit for calming my heart and giving me peace about the path he is leading me down. I trust him!

Lately, the song "Everything" by Lifehouse has been playing over and over in my mind. I think it's because of all the inner peace I've been experiencing the last month or so. God has me in his arms and I can feel him holding me close. It's amazing how much he loves me!

He's all I want!
He's all I need!
God, you're everything!

I know those aren't the exact lyrics, but that is how Colton Dixon sang the song after he was voted off American Idol. Side note: What a bold statement he made when he did that. Way to go, Colton! Way to stand up for your faith in front of millions of viewers! His courageous act has been such an inspiration. What a bold act for such a young man.

Anyway... moving on...

While I love Lifehouse's version of "Everything", lately I've been listening to Colton Dixon's cover version. Click on "Everything" to watch Colton's take on this beautiful song. The build up towards the end brings me to tears almost every time I listen to it.

While I wait to see what God has in store for me (and Dan), I focus on making God my everything.

So let me apologize in advance if I don't have a fertility update for a while. You guys know I want to keep you as up-to-date as possible. So bear with me as I take a moment to call "time out".

3 comments:

Jess Keller said...

We've been praying. I'm glad you're enjoying a break. We went through 4 years of infertility and one of the best things we did was take a break and just enjoy life and pursue God again. It made all the difference for us.

AnnaK said...

Agree! Breaks are a good thing. Enjoy the time to just not think about it!

Em said...

Good for you for taking a break. I just finished a month off and really loved having that time to focus on other stuff. I hope this is a sweet time of renewal for you.