Monday, February 18, 2013

My Clomid Treatment(s)

First and foremost, I would like to extend a great, big THANK YOU to everyone who has reached out to me and Dan with regards to our infertility journey. The Facebook posts, personal messages, text messages, and one-on-one words of encouragement has been overwhelming! I am in awe of how God has provided us with so many prayer warriors for our journey. Your prayers and support are greatly appreciated and we cannot thank you enough.

It has come to my attention that my Clomid treatment(s) are a bit more complicated than most. So I thought I would fill you all in exactly what each of my fertility treatment(s) will include. Again, this might be a bit graphic for some, so only proceed if you're interested in understanding my medical treatment(s).

Clomid (Clomiphine Citrate) is a medication that will trigger hormones to be released to my ovaries to produce and mature follicles (eggs). I have to follow these instructions closely to guide myself through my treatment cycle. I have a calendar/planner I use to keep record of what I do and when.

Phase 1
I call my doctor the first day of my period -- first day of "full flow" is day one. If "full flow" begins after 3:00 p.m. the next day is considered day one of my period. Since I have a history of unpredictable periods, my doctor prescribes me Premetrium in case my period doesn't show up by a specific date -- having Aunt Flo show up on her own is helpful.

Once I contact my doctor regarding my period, I schedule a baseline ultrasound and blood test between my cycle days 1-5.

Phase 2
After my baseline appointment, I am instructed to start Clomid (50 mg for the first treatment) once daily on cycle days 5-9 -- and I continue to take prenatal vitamins. If needed, my doctor will increase my Clomid dosage with each treatment.

Phase 3
Once I am done taking Clomid, I return to the doctor's office for another ultrasound and blood test. I am then instructed to begin taking Estradiol 2 mg twice a day, one in the morning and one at night.

Phase 4
I return to the doctor's office for a "mid-cycle" ultrasound and blood test to monitor follicular growth in preparation for my HCG 10,000 units injection. We want to see some follicles grow!

Phase 5
After my "mid-cycle" evaluation for mature follicles, I will be instructed to take HCG 10,000 units to induce ovulation. This is a shot that I'll have to give myself when it is time. Eh, on second thought, Dan will be giving me the shot.

At  this time we can use ovulation sticks to see if I've started ovulating. If we would like some additional assistance, I will then schedule my IUI (insemination).

Phase 6
I will be instructed to start Endometrin 100mg suppository twice daily (AM/PM) one day after after my IUI to maintain my uterine lining for implantation/pregnancy.

Phase 7
Last, but certainly not least, schedule my pregnancy text approximately 14 days from the date of my HCG injection.

Each treatment has a 30% - 40% chance of success. Now, if that seems low to some of you, keep in mind that couples have a 25% chance of conceiving on their own. Crazy, huh?

On top of all these new medications, I've also started taking Metformin ER 500 mg to help with my PCOS. This medication is to simply treat my PCOS and isn't exactly part of my fertility treatment(s). Because of my PCOS, my body doesn't metabolize carbs/sugars the way a normal body would -- which explains why weight has been a bit of a struggle since I started my first period (at age 14).  Metformin will help my body. I've never been on so much medication in my entire life!

I'm proud to announce that I've cut carbs and sugar out of my diet completely! Well, as best as I can. I've got a sweet tooth, but as long as I'm undergoing fertility treatments I am going to limit my carb/sugar intake as best as I can. Also, at the advise of a friend who has been through a similar trial (and was blessed with twins!), I've also started drinking raspberry leaf tea (found at Whole Foods) -- thank you, Anna.

I'm at the doctor's office once, if not twice, a week these days. It is an endless rollercoaster of unknowns. If I haven't mentioned it before, I'll mention it now... I'm nervous! The situation is completely out of my hands and I have no idea what lies ahead.

This is my favorite bible verse:

"Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done." Philippians 4:6 (NLT)

I am a worrier. I worry about almost anything. Handing situations over to God is not an easy task for me -- I want to be in control. This situation has humbled me and brought me to my knees. I cannot do this without God. Right now, the only thing I can do is hand over my situation to God and not worry about the things I cannot control. In the meantime, I'm free to bring my prayer requests before God -- through my relationship with Jesus Christ. Then, as I wait, I praise Him for answering my prayers. You are an answer to my prayers! Your prayers and support have given me hope and strength! I praise God for each of my prayer warriors. I am blessed to share this journey with each of you.

Below is the lyric music video for "Who Shall I Fear" by Chris Tomlin. This song has also been very encouraging during this difficult journey. No matter what difficulties you may be facing, know that God and his army of angels are right there by your side.

5 comments:

Mary said...

I hope Clomid works for you guys! You might already know, but you can buy pregnancy tests for $1 at the Dollar Tree. (Or maybe you've got the will power to wait the 14 days.) I've always gotten a positive soonest with these tests even though they are so inexpensive (day 11 DPO last time). Just thought I'd mention it since it took me a while to find out about them and they save SO much money if you're a compulsive tester!

AnnaK said...

Thanks for the shout-out! I'm praying for you! I know that tea doesn't taste the best - but it's great for you. So just drink away my friend!

Em said...

Hi Karolyn! I'm so glad Kathleen shared your blog with me. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. It's so tough, isn't it? I hope your journey is as brief and painless as possible. Your situation sounds pretty similar to mine - clomid, IUI, metformin, PCOS, etc. I am looking forward to following you throughout this process. I wish there was a way to follow your blog though. Have you considered adding a "follow" widget?

knelson said...

Hi Em! I've added the Google+ Follow widget -- it seems to be the updated "follow" option. Thank you to everyone who has showed interest in my blog. I praise God for all the support I've been getting. You're all a blessing!

Em said...

Thanks so much for doing that! I am sort of confused by the new widget but I think I followed you. I guess we'll see. (-: