Tuesday, February 19, 2013

While I'm Waiting

One day, while I was in Minnesota with Dan and my parents, visiting my sister (Kathleen) and her husband (Brad), we went to the Mall of America to do some shopping. Shortly after having breakfast at McDonald's (waiting for the stores to open), we casually made our way down one of the mall's many escalators. While we descended to a lower level, my sister called out, "Isn't that the McKenzies?"

Sure enough, there they were! The McKenzies are long-time friends from our church and they were visiting a college in the area for their daughter. We knew that they were in the area but we had no idea that they were at the mall.

In case you've never been to the Mall of America, it's huge! It is so big that they have multiple food courts, a movie theater, several restaurants, and even multiple locations for select stores. Finding friends on purpose can be difficult, even when you know they're there. Yet, we managed to spot our friends. We found them without even trying and that made our little meet-up so exciting -- our timing was simply perfect. Later, even though we knew that the McKenzies were still in the building, we never ran into them again. It was a one-time moment.

We've all had moments like the one my family had with the McKenzie family -- a moment of perfect timing. Moments like these are always more exciting because they catch you off guard and surprise you.

How about the time I went to visit my best friend (Jessie) at Pleasant Hill Cemetery (in 2001-2-3-4?) and heard "Dreaming of You" by Selena on the radio when I got back in the car? "Dreaming of You" is a significant Jessie song that rarely (rarely!) gets any airtime since we've entered the 21st century. What are the odds that it would play right then?

"ALL GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT."

We've all heard that quote before. Personally, I am not the best at being patient -- especially when it is something I really want. I know I've had a moment or two (or hundreds) where I've blown it because I just couldn't just be patient and wait.

If my infertility journey has taught me anything it's that perfect timing is really out of my control. I can do what I can to help point things in the right direction, but that's it. I can take all my medications on schedule, be on time to every doctor appointment, and monitor my body as closely as possible and still miss out! It's so frustrating!

My infertility situation is completely out of my hands. That is why I made the decision to put it all in God's hands. He is all-powerful and He is the master of perfect timing. I could easily share several stories about God's perfect timing in my life, but I'll simply say this much: His timing is best.

So now what? We wait... and wait... and wait. Sometimes waiting on God can feel like nails on a chalkboard -- uncomfortable, irritating, and you just want it to stop. Like I've said in a previous post, Dan and I have a brand new house, two full-time jobs, insurance, and two working cars (one of which is brand new!)... what is He waiting for? I can't see the big picture like God can, so I don't know. He has the perfect moment all planned out. I just need to sit back, relax, trust Him, and (gulp!) be patient.
 
What am I doing while I wait? A couple of things...

1. I work. I've got four jobs. One full-time job, two part-time jobs, and an unpredictable freelance gig. I also volunteer as a worship leader at my church, host two small groups at my house, help with youth group events/activities, and organize a yearly fundraiser in memory of my best friend, Jessie. I know that I won't be able to keep up all of this once Dan and I have a baby, so I enjoy the work (and the income) while I can. However, I am also attempting to delegate some of my work so I can relieve some stress.

2. I'm planning a Florida vacation. Earlier this month Southwest had a fabulous sale on airfare, so Dan and I booked a spontaneous trip with my parents to Orlando, Florida for May 29th - June 3rd. As an added bonus, I had enough Southwest points to purchase my round trip ticket for free. So when I get flustered about all my medications, my multiple doctor appointments, or the fact that my body doesn't seem to be functioning properly, I daydream about my upcoming vacation.

3. I work on my healthy eating habits. Cutting out carbs and sugar is not easy, by any means, but I'm getting better at it. While I'm not pregnant I'll continue to work on making wise meal choices so that when I am pregnant I'll naturally make better meal choices.

4. I exercise. My schedule doesn't permit much free time, but I do manage to squeeze in a work out here and there. I've been watching craigslist.com and freecycle for a free/cheap treadmill for years! I've made it a goal to have a treadmill by the time I'm pregnant. I guess I still have some time. Healthy meal choices and regular exercise will help treat my PCOS.

5. I keep my focus on things above. God is my ultimate focus! I am, by no means, perfect when it comes to staying fixed and focused on my relationship with God, but I work at it. All relationships take work and my relationship with God is no exception. By staying involved with my church and maintaining daily prayer, my relationship with God stays strong. I am strongest when I am in prayer. Listening to positive and encouraging music also helps.

Speaking of positive and encouraging music, today's song is "While I'm Waiting" by John Waller. Asking God to take control over a situation means waiting on His perfect timing. Once you give up the situation and place it in God's hands (and all you can do is wait) stay close to God while you're waiting. Seek Him daily and you'll be stronger. Sure you'll have your good days and your bad days, but don't give up! God is so much bigger than our problems. He created the universe, I know He can handle whatever you give Him.


 
PS - Just as I was about to publish this post "While I'm Waiting" started playing on Pandora. Such excellent timing! Of all the songs...


No comments: