Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Teeth Issues

I'm a little tired of my teeth giving me problems. Really, I am doing a fine job at taking care of them... they just don't seem to be taking in all that I'm doing for them (how rude!). I brush with Sensodyne ProNamel at least twice a day (sometimes 3x), I use ACT Fluoride Mouthwash twice a day, and floss using my handy Reach Access Flosser every night! Plus, I always keep a bottle of fresh water close by so I can rinse my mouth after eating to foods, especially ones with acids.

I've been doing a lot of research to see where I may be going wrong and for the most part I am doing stuff right. Here are a couple of things that I found that could be helpful to anyone experiencing these same issues. Some of these suggestions I already knew and some are new to me. Here's the whole list:

1. Decrease the consumption of acidic foods and/or drinks, both in quantity and frequency. Try to have them only at mealtimes. Replace carbonated drinks with water, milk or un-sweetened coffee and tea, especially between meals.

2. Drink acidic drinks quickly and do not swish them round the mouth (to reduce the time that the teeth are exposed to acids).

3. Use a straw when drinking carbonated beverages or fruit juices, which are very acidic (at least to limit contact of acids with the front teeth).

4. After eating or drinking acidic foods or beverages, rinse your mouth with fresh water so that the acid is diluted and easier neutralized.

5. Because acids temporarily soften the tooth surface (de-mineralization), don't brush your teeth immediately after eating or drinking something acidic (or vomiting), as the softened enamel will be further damaged by the brushing and that will speed up the process of erosion. Wait at least an hour to allow calcium in saliva to repair tooth enamel after the acid exposure.

6. Chewing sugar-free gum can help reduce dry mouth and increase the saliva flow, allowing it to neutralise acids and help teeth to remineralize.

7. You should brush your teeth twice a day, with a soft toothbrush using fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride helps the remineralization of the tooth enamel and it is necessary for preventing tooth erosion.

8. Follow your dentist’s instructions in order to prevent further tooth enamel loss. Your dentist may also recommend the periodic application of fluoride gel or varnish in the dental office to restore tooth enamel and prevent dental erosion.

I never knew #5... so that may be a reason why I'm having some issues. However, the last time I went to the dentist he had a feeling that I had a cavity (where my tooth is a little achy), but looking at my x-rays he said it was hard to tell if it was through the enamel yet. Hmm... I'm scared to think that it already was and all of my care did nothing to help. Oh well, it's not like I have more cavities than the average person (I believe that I have less) and it has been years since I had a tiny filling, but still... I hate the whole process.

I do have moments, however, when I think that my teeth are just responding to the the area where my wisdom tooth was pulled in June 2008. Although, it is only achy on one side, not the other (where the other upper wisdom tooth was also pulled). I dunno. The next time I go to the dentist I'm anticipating the cavity but praying that it's nothing. Would a cavity ache everyday? Because my tooth doesn't bother me everyday.

No comments: