Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Counting My Blessings

As I scan through the news feed on my Facebook page, I've noticed that several of my friends have decided to share something that they're thankful for, every day in November. While I haven't jumped on the bandwagon for this particular Facebook fad, I have been creating a list in my mind. Well, truth be told, I do attempt to count my blessings every day -- not just in the month of November. I am so blessed and all too often I take for granted the things God has blessed me with. So, since Thanksgiving is only a couple of days away, I thought I would list some of my blessings. I don't want this post to be forever long, so I'm going to attempt to make a "Top 10 Blessings" list.

1. My Salvation
I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, He is also the bridge between us and God. Romans 3:23 says, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." The penalty for sin is death. Romans 6:23 says, "For the wages of sin is death." That is exactly why we need Jesus Christ! Here is the best part... Christ died for you! Romans 5:8 tells us, "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." You too can be saved through faith in Jesus Christ.

Trust me, having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is life-changing! He is our direct connection to our Heavenly Father. We were created for one true purpose: to love, worship, and live for our God, our Father and Creator. I wouldn't trade my relationship with God for anything.

Begin Your Relationship With God Today- Admit that you have not met God's standard of perfection (Romans 3:23).
- Believe that Jesus Christ is God, as He claimed to be (Romans 10:9-10).
- Ask God to forgive your sins on the basis of Jesus Christ's death payment on the cross (Romans 4:25).
- Accept God's love for you (John 3:16) and His offer of eternal life.

2. My Family and Friends
I cannot begin to express what my family and friends mean to me -- there are just not enough significant words. Relationships are very important to me and if it wasn't for my family and friends I would be lost. I am blessed to have close relationships to share in the good times and feel support during the dark times. Thank you to all my family and friends for being such an important part of my life! You truly mean the world to me!

3. My Husband
Yes, of course my husband is my family, but still, he really deserves his own slot. At this point, Dan and I have been together for over eight years (non-stop), and I still look at him and think, "Wow, how did I get so blessed?" Seriously! When I think about how well Dan and I compliment each other, I can only thank God for bringing us together. While Dan and I have our share of ups and downs, I am thankful that is doesn't matter if we had an uneventful day, a big scare, or a major fight, we always come together in prayer. I absolutely love watching Dan grow with God and become a strong spiritual leader. Not just for me, but for the teens and young adults that look up to him at our church. He is a man of God and I praise the Lord that he is my husband.

4. My Church Family
While this blessing can be easily placed within My Family and Friends category, I felt that my church family deserves to be in a category all on their own. Why? Because they're an exceptional part of my life. My church family looks out for me much like they're my immediately family. I absolutely love watching my church family come together to support each other -- in both the good and bad. We celebrate together. We grieve together. We're they're for each other! I am blessed to have a church family that goes above and beyond to be the hands and feet of God.

5. My Home
Dan and I have been in our house for just over a year now and I still walk inside and feel absolute awe. I am so blessed to have such a gorgeous home! It is a home that I got to build from the ground up, a home that is in a neighborhood with wonderful and thoughtful neighbors, a home that has plenty of room for me and Dan to start a family... I can go on and on! I love my home!

6. My Jobs
Yes, plural. I have many jobs -- sometimes too many. While I work six days a week (most weeks) and some of those days I work nearly 15+ hours, I still can't help but be grateful for the work I am blessed to have. Just this past year my husband lost his job and in those dark days I felt secure knowing I had enough work to get us by -- and, of course, trusting God had a plan for us. Now that Dan has found a wonderful new job, I am thankful for God's perfect timing!

7. Our Puppy (Jetta)
Dan and I have wanted to get a pet for sometime. So when we were blessed with the opportunity to adopt a sweet rescue puppy, we were thrilled! While Jetta can test our patients while we house train her, she also brings us so much joy as she cuddles and plays with us. She is one very happy puppy! Within this category I will also say that I am very grateful that my sister (Kathleen) and brother-in-law (Brad) adopted one of Jetta's brother, whom they named Lovie. I look forward to reuniting this brother and sister duo over the coming years!

8. Photos and Video
For those of you who know me very well, this blessing probably doesn't surprise you. Photos and video have been a passion my entire life! I am grateful that I can relive memories by looking at old photos and video. It gives me a chance to laugh along with family and friends as we view these memories together, but it also gives me an opportunity to see and hear loved ones who have passed on.

9. My Car
I currently drive a 2000 Chevy Cavalier -- who goes by the name of Roxy. Considering my car's age, I am very happy that I have a nice, reliable vehicle that gets me from A to B with ease. While Roxy has some bumps, bruises, and a couple of quirks I know to to watch out for (or ignore), she still gives me a comfortable ride. So long as Roxy holds on, Dan and I will continue to have no car payments -- which is certainly an added blessing!

10. Skype/FaceTime/Video Chat
Whatever method is being used, I am very grateful that I can not only hear from family and friends, but see them as well! I have used video chat to get a tour of someone's new home, to meet and greet new family members, and to see loved ones during the holidays. It is amazing how much closer you can feel to someone when you can hear and see them. The distance apart will suddenly feel so much smaller. Considering how important family/friends/relationships are to me, this method of keeping in touch is an absolute blessings.

While my list of blessings (down to the smallest details) will be virtually endless, I hope that my Top 10 Blessings has shed some light into your heart and got you thinking about how you've been richly blessed. Take the time today (and everyday) to thank God for your many, many blessings.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Very wonderful! what a blessed life :) It's so very nice to read about blessings and positives. :)