Thursday, November 1, 2012

Meet Jetta

Dan and I have gone back and forth for a long time, debating when we would get a pet. We agreed that when the time timing was right we would adopt a pet from a rescue shelter. From that moment on, we were watching rescue shelter websites and Facebook pages for potential pets -- especially Dan.

A couple of months ago we came close to adopting a darling medium-size dog. It's a long story, but she got adopted before we got a chance to officially meet her. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

On Thursday, October 18th Dan found some Chihuahua puppies at Joliet Township Animal Control. I went in to visit the puppies the very next day. I used my break from work to meet the puppies and to see if any of them stood out. First of all, they're all super cute and it was hard to narrow down my top choices, but I had two little girls in mind. I tired my best to describe the puppies to Dan and I even snapped a few photos and video with my phone. Dan really wanted to visit the puppies, but the shelter is only open when he is at work -- and they're closed on the weekends. I wanted Dan to help pick the puppy, but we weren't sure how it would work out.

The next week Dan talked with his supervisor and got an extended break so he could visit the puppies at the shelter. I went with a friend and co-worker (Debbie) to visit the puppies while Dan was there. I showed him my two favorites and we considered them all while we were there. In the end, we both agreed on one female.

I was warned by a couple of people that the shelter gets lines the morning certain animals go up for adoption, so if I wanted a specific pup I'd need to get there bright and early to snag a spot in line. Seriously? Well, since Dan and I had our hearts set on a specific puppy, so we did just that. The puppies were going up for adoption on Thursday, November 1st, so we spent the night at our friends' house (Jason and Rachel) since they live very close to the shelter.

It was dark and we were the first ones in the parking lot -- at 6:00 a.m. Another lady came at about 7:30 a.m. She also wanted a female. Thankfully, we had different females in mind. Dan had to leave for work, so he left at about 8:00 a.m. I stood outside and had a friendly conversation with my fellow Chihuahua fan.

The shelter opens at 9:00 a.m. but they let us in at about 8:45 -- it was cold outside. Sure enough, me and the other lady each picked out a different pup. Shortly after we scooped up our girls, another lady came and picked out the last girl. Phew! Getting up early and waiting in the cold proved to be a most excellent idea.


Our puppy has to make one more stop at the vet to get spayed before we can take her home. We'll be taking her home (to her "forever home") tomorrow evening. I forgot to double-check when the puppies were born, but I do know that they're 2 months old today. I'll have to ask when I pick her up.

Well, as you can see from the title, our puppy's name is Jetta. As a kid, my sister and I were big fans of a cartoon series called Jem. It's a television series about two all-female rock bands: Jem and the Holograms and The Misfits. Well, one day (many years ago) I was watching the series on DVD and I watched the episode called The Talent Search. During the two-part episode, Jem's band got a new Hologram and The Misfits got a new, spunky Misfit -- Jetta! It was then that I saved Jetta in the back of my mind as a future dog name. I shared the name with Dan years ago and he became an instant fan.

So, finally, I've got my little Jetta! I am so excited to bring her home and give her lots and lots of love! She is so precious and so sweet! I'm sure she'll be a very special addition to our family. Now that's what I call puppy love!

Jetta from The Misfits
If you're curious, here are the Jem episodes:
Jem and the Holograms: The Talent Search (Part 1)
Jem and the Holograms: The Talent Search (Part 2)

No comments: