Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Little Lovie

On Monday, November 5th my friend Rachel posted a link on my Facebook wall that featured images of Jetta's three brothers who were still at the shelter -- suggesting Dan and I adopt a playmate for Jetta. Wait... what? How are these precious pups still at the shelter?! My heart broke in an instant! While I seriously considered the idea of adopting a second puppy, I just didn't think it would work. However, I wanted to ensure these little guys got a lot of attention, so I re-posted Rachel's post, hoping someone would rescue these sweet, little babies.

Shortly after mine and Rachel's posts, my sister (Kathleen) sent me a text message, "I want one of those chihuahuas!!!" I lit up instantly! Perhaps Kathleen and Brad would adopt one of these cuties? I ended up calling Kathleen and we discussed Jetta's oh-so-cute brothers. Turns out, Kathleen and Brad were considering adopting one of Jetta's siblings for a couple days now. Kathleen admit that she became hooked watching videos of Jetta and would spend a long time staring at her photo. Under one video she posted, "omg... i haven't even met her yet, and i already miss her!" So when Kathleen found out that there were still puppies that needed to be rescued, she got very excited.

"They just re-posted the photos, what if they're all taken by the time you get there?" Kathleen asked, sounding pretty nervous.

"Kathleen," I replied with confidence. "The shelter is only five minutes down the road. I haven't taken my break yet. I can go right now and claim a puppy for you."

"Really?" she exclaimed with excitement. Silence.

"Go call Brad and call me back," I instructed with a big smile on my face.

"Okay!" she replied with pure joy.

A couple minutes later Kathleen called me back and proudly announced that they wanted a puppy! I burst with excitement as I started to gather my things. Kathleen and Brad gave me full permission to pick out the puppy I felt would be the best for them -- since I've already spent so much time with them.

I got to the shelter and explained Kathleen and Brad's situation -- living in Minnesota and wanting a puppy. Thankfully, the shelter was very sweet and, after calling Kathleen to confirm our arrangements, they let me adopt one of the pups on Kathleen's behalf. Woohoo!

"Back for another puppy?" one guy asked -- yeah, all the employees recognized me.

"This one is for my sister," I proudly announced as I continued to fill out the paper work. The folks at the shelter seemed pretty excited to hear that two of the Chihuahua siblings were going to be "together" in a very loving family.

It was total deja vu! There I was, back in this little visiting room with three adorable, playful puppies, getting ready to claim another baby. I was overflowing with joy! While I wish I could just take all three home, I carefully selected the "runt" of the family and claimed him for Kathleen and Brad.

The timing for all of this couldn't be more perfect! My parents are actually driving up to visit Kathleen and Brad this weekend. They're leaving Thursday morning, so that means Kathleen and Brad will have their pup in a couple of days! In fact, I get to pick him up later today. I am so excited to see him again!

Dan and I are thrilled that one of Jetta's brothers is going to stay in the family! Kathleen and Brad already had a name picked out -- Lovie. So now Jetta and Lovie have their forever homes and they'll get to see each other once in a while. Christmas is going to be AWESOME!

My Facebook has been blowing up with lots and lots of puppy talk these past couple of day. Now, I must say, I really like how Kathleen put it, "so very excited!!! all is right with the world... chihuahuas in the kovals' lives again ".

Welcome to the family, Lovie! Don't worry, Jetta, I'll keep spreading the word until all of your siblings find their forever homes! Wow, I am overflowing with puppy love right now!

No comments: