Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Operation Christmas Child


This year, Dan and I were blessed with an opportunity to put together two boxes for Operation Christmas Child -- organized by Samaritan's Purse.

The mission of Operation Christmas Child is to demonstrate God's love in a tangible way to needy children around the world, and together with the local church worldwide, to share the Good News of Jesus Christ. Samaritan's Purse is a Christian relief and evangelism organization led by Franklin Graham. Read about our history here.

For Operation Christmas Child, we there are three ages groups, per gender, to chose from. Financially, Dan and I thought that we could afford to sponsor two children -- one for each of us. While selecting one gender and one age group can be quite difficult, I chose a 10-14 year-old girl and Dan chose a 5-9 year-old boy. It was a rather delightful challenge trying to stuff as many goodies as possible into two shoe-box-sized boxes. Now I can't help but wonder where our boxes will end up. I just wish we could be there when the children get to open our boxes!



On Saturday, November 10th I wrapped and packed our boxes. I took my time and carefully placed each item into the correct box. There were toys, candy, sunglasses, toiletries, gloves, hats, etc. We even bought plastic boxes that snap shut so the children can reuse the boxes however they would like. Within each box we each wrote a letter and included photos of our family -- including Jetta.


On Sunday, November 11th we dropped off our boxes at church. It was so exciting to see so many boxes dropped off at once! These boxes are more than a Christmas present, they offer hope and a chance to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. With every box, Samaritan's Purse provides the gospel message in the preferred language of each child.

1 BOX = 1 LIFE = 1 SALVATION

This is a wonderful organization and I hope to make this a Christmas tradition for my children -- someday. After all, Jesus is the reason for the season and I want my children to understand that and feel the pure joy of generosity.

To God be the glory!

 

No comments: