Friday, October 7, 2011

No Sleep Last Night

Yesterday Dan and I received our free monthly Redbox codes via text message - plus I had another random free code that was about to expire. So we decided to use them to rent a few movies. We agreed to go with Halloween-themed and thriller choices. We got Scream 4, Red Riding Hood and Hocus Pocus.

Scream 4 was exactly what I expected. It's just like the other three - if you've seen them. Once you get used to horror/thriller-like movies, like us, you become more relaxed while watching them. Instead of being in constant suspense, wondering when and where the killer(s) are going to strike, we chuckled at the stupidity of the victims (Why do they always run upstairs??) and the fact that the newly blood-splattered wall didn't smear when junior scream queen, Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), ran her hand down the wall in distress. Still, these kind of movies are fun to watch as Halloween approaches.

Red Riding Hood was a unique take on the classic tale of Little Red Riding Hood. It is a story that gives viewers more details about the the big, bad wolf, how the leading lady got her precious, red hood and why grandma lives alone, in the middle of the woods. While I spent a portion of the movie baking some delicious muffins, I found this movie to be quite interesting. I don't think I'll run out and buy it on Blu-ray, but if I found it in the $5 bin at Walmart I would consider picking it up.

Hocus Pocus is an old favorite of mine. Whenever I watch it, it just feels like Fall. I'm not sure what it is, but watching movies like Hocus Pocus, Casper and The Nightmare Before Christmas, during the Fall, are rather comforting. I think it is because I used to watch these movies as a kid during the same time. I guess it is just one of those feelings that "really takes me back..."

That same evening, neither of us felt sleepy. My mind was swirling and I couldn't seem to wind down for the day. So I resumed my editing (and even completed a smaller project). When I was done editing, I resumed packing up the apartment. Dan relaxed in the family room and played around on his laptop. He wasn't getting sleepy either.

11:30... 12:00... 12:30... 1:00... 1:30... time just kept ticking away. All the while, we just kept going on with our own projects.

At 2:00 a.m. Dan pre-ordered the iPhone 4S through Verizon - it may not be the iPhone 5 that everyone was expecting, but he was still excited to order his first-ever iPhone. Considering the recent passing of Steve Jobs (former CEO and founder of Apple), it was rather strange to think that with such a loss, business went on as usual. I'm sure that is what Steve would have wanted - for the business built and developed to continue to thrive even after he was passed.

By 2:15 a.m. I decided it was time to go to bed. Dan joined me at about 2:30 a.m. and we still watched an episode or two of Full House before we officially fell asleep.

When my alarm went off the next morning I keep snoozing my alarm like it was an early, unexpected text message. My thought: "Not now... I'm too tired. I'll check it later." I was completely unaware that my alarm was going off, that is, until Dan woke up to his alarm and told me it was time to get up. Oops!

I'm a little sleepy this morning but I'm actually functioning quite well, considering the lack of sleep I got. No matter. I will press on and give this day all I've got. It may not be much, but hey, I'm doing what I can.

Side Note:
Steve Jobs passed away on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 - exactly one year after mine and Dan's dear friend, Dan Johnson, was killed while fighting the war in Afghanistan. What a day! A day that already had a "rain cloud" hovering over our heads managed to feel a little darker. Dan Johnson was only 23 when he killed and Steve Jobs was only 56 when he lost his life to cancer.

Steve Jobs once said, "Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me... Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful... that's what matters to me."
[Wall Street Journal, May 25, 1993]

You can't take anything with you. You leave everything behind. Both Steve Jobs and Dan Johnson left so much behind - possessions, loved ones - each in his own way. Both had made a positive impact on so many lives. Both will be deeply missed.

I'd like to encourage you to live every day of your life to the fullest. Don't live a life determined to collect many possessions and material objects - because, like I said before, you can't take any of it with you. Instead, strive to be an encourager... not a discourager. Offer love... not hatred. Give generously... expect nothing in return. You're writing your own legacy right now... you get to determine how you will be remembered. So make your life one that others will want to celebrate!

Those of us who know Jesus Chirst, as our personal Lord and Savior, know that our treasures are in heaven... not on earth.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where theives do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Matthew 16:19-21

No comments: