Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Shopping at Whole Foods Market

Back in September LivingSocial was offering a deal: $10 for $20 to spend at Whole Foods Market, limit one per person. So Dan and I each purchased one with our own account. We weren't the only ones who were jumping on this deal - my Facebook news feed had several others who shared about their recent LivingSocial purchase.

We decided to wait until we were in the new house to splurge on our mini Whole Foods shopping spree - and last night we finally went. I'll admit, I was a bit lost in that store. I've never seriously shopped there - well, for more than one random thing at a time. Dan and I kept splitting up, each trying to decide what we should buy. Our ultimate goal was to each spend our gift certificate ($20/each) without going over.

Once we were finished choosing our items, we divided our cart into two piles - hoping they were about $20 each. Some items were on sale, some items had coupons... some items were on sale and had coupons! Score!

I went first. After my sale items and coupons I was at $17.36. Oops! So I snagged two packs of gum and my total came to $20.13. After my gift certificate I spent $0.13. I looked at Dan and playfully said, "Let's see if you can beat that."

Dan went next. After his sale items and coupons he was at $19.80, so he purchased a different pack of gum. His final total was $20.85. After his gift certificate he spent $0.85. The female cashier smiled at Dan and said, "Looks like she beat you."

Here are our final numbers...

Total spent on LinvingSocial deal: $20
Total spent at Whole Foods Market (before LS and coupons): $44.79

TOTAL SPENT (including LS): $20.98
TOTAL SAVINGS: $23.81+

I put the "+" next to Total Savings because some of the items were on sale but I can't remember how much the items were originally priced and it doesn't show how much we saved on our receipts. I know the total is a couple of dollars, but I'm not sure exactly.

In the long run, we saved over 53% on our grocery bill at Whole Foods Market - which is awesome! I can say this much, I love the selection of fresh, organic whole foods, but the prices are definitely too steep for me and my budget. This was a nice way to pick up a few healthy items (i.e. soy milk, Greek yogurt, frozen fruit, cottage cheese, etc.) and not break the bank.

No comments: